Thinking of putting up Christmas lights on your home this year? My family loves looking at Christmas lights, and Northwest Indiana has several homes in the area that go all-out, including light shows, and our family enjoys driving by them each year! Whether you’re going for the full “Clark-Griswold effect, complete with the Hallelujah chorus” or just a few to add some Christmas magic to your walkway, lights are a festive, simple way to share the joy of the season with everyone who sees your home! Here’s a few quick tips to make sure that your light experience is safe, simple and fun!
- Plug your string of lights in BEFORE you put them up to make sure they all work prior to taking them up the ladder!
- Make sure the lights have been safety-rated. They will have a tag attached to the cord with the rating.
- Never use nails, tacks or staples! Use gutter clips specifically designed for hanging Christmas lights.
- Set a timer so your lights will automatically shut off after so many hours. Nobody want to pay to have their house lit up all night long!
- Never connect more sets end to end than the manufacturer recommends.
- Be sure to only plug outdoor lights into a GFCI outlet.
- Wrap any connections with duct tape to prevent water from damaging your lights.